shmem info issue

naveen yadav yad.naveen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 07:38:32 EDT 2013

 Hi All

I am working on tmpfs. During code analysis I found shmem driver
register itself as tmpfs .

cat /proc/meminfo Shmem field read NR_SHMEM enum filed and shows used
memory in tmpfs

[root at localhost linux-3.8.2]# cat /proc/meminfo | grep -r Shmem
Shmem:               704 kB
[root at localhost linux-3.8.2]#

include/linux/mmzone.h
enum zone_stat_item {
-----cut here-------
 NR_SHMEM,               /* shmem pages (included tmpfs/GEM pages
 -----cut here
}

I have the following query
1-> cat /proc/meminfo | grep -r Shmem show only the used tmpfs memory
or it show used  tmpfs memory + mata data also (because I found Shmem
is bit larger then tempfs used memory )
2-> as per the developer comments NR_SHMEM included tmpfs and GEM
pages whct is Gem pages
3-> is my above code analysis is correct?