Debugging techniques inside kernel

manty kuma mantykuma at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 22:22:16 EDT 2013

I am not completely aware of the debugging techniques and utilizing /proc
entries that kernel provides to debug the issues.

Could you please point me out to some interesting sources related to
debugging or it would be very nice if you could list them here at one place.

I found out that recently some interesting CONFIGS that enable some
debugging features.

For ex : *CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON, *CONFIG_DMA_API_DEBUG
I am just told to use these configs and check. Not sure how to use them
effectively. Please share if you are aware of these kind of configs and how
to use them. To have them at one place it would be useful for debugging
beginners like me.

Currently i am facing a memory corruption issue. A very Nasty one which has
different call stacks everytime it crashes. Looking at the patterns and
Area that is getting corrupted, we are suspecting non-linux components that
are illegally writing into the comple DDR(ram). So in this case, is there
some particular help that kernel can provide me?

Currently i have the complete ram dump. I am analyzing it through
opensource crash tool.

Cheers,
Manty!