Any way to do time keeping during kernel uncompression[ARM architecture]

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 02:16:12 EST 2013

Hi Sandeep

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM, sandeep kumar <coolsandyforyou at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave.
> Ok
> Can you tell me which thing runs faster ?
> 1)Copy zImage(compressed kernel) from flash to Ram, jump to start,
Relocate compress kernel, uncompress it...
> 2)Copy Image(uncompressed one) from flash to RAM and run it right away...
>
> My gut feeling says second one is better, thats what i m trying to prove
here... :)

It depends on numerous factors:
1 - Your flash speed
2 - Your RAM speed
3 - Your CPU speed
4 - Whether you have code and/or data caches enabled

If you enable the caches, use DMA from NAND (so make your NAND as fast as
possible), then option 1 usually blows away option 2, but your mileage may
vary.

Dave Hylands