use of EXPORT_SYMBOL()

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 03:31:49 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Adel Qodmani <mpcadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> And you're allowed to use it in Kernel modules too? I mean I can expose a
> function in a kernel module that I am building by using EXPORT_SYMBOL?

technically, yes, you're allowed to export symbol(s) in your kernel
module. Of course, during compiling, module that uses that exported
symbol will be said as using unknown symbol (but since likely you will
use "extern", it will still go on).

During module linking in kernel space, that "unknown symbol name" will
be resolved. Just like what we see when a program link to function(s)
or variable(s) in dynamic libraries.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa