Intercepting a system call

Paul Davies C pauldaviesc at
Fri Jan 25 08:28:29 EST 2013

  [1] is the module I wrote for intercepting the system call fork(). I have
taken the conventional way of hooking the system call. Firstly I found out
the address of the sys_call_table from the Then I used it in
the module to substitute for the original fork() with my own version of
fork.My version does nothing more than printing a message and returning the
original fork(). It didn't  gave any errors when loaded to kernel using the
insmod.  However it seems that the module had no affect on the
sys_call_table[] since the fork() is working perfectly after the insertion
of module and it does not show me the message it was supposed to print. Can
someone figure out the problem? I am using 3.2.0-4-686 version of kernel.

*Paul Davies C*