File system development question

Racz Zoltan racz.zoli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 06:23:58 EST 2013

Hi.

Some days ago I started studying the linux VFS api, and until now I
wrote a mountable only file system. I would like to go further than
that, but I didn`t find any good documentations on google. Some of them
are incomplete, others are written for the 2.4 kernel series etc. Can
somebody recommend a good book or documentation about file system
development on the 2.6 or 3.x kernel series? It`s not a problem if it
doesn`t contain a full source code (I don`t want to only copy paste code
written by someone else, compile it, and voila, I`m a kernel
developer).  Reading the vfs api,or source files from the kernel is
fine, but without knowing step by step what do I need to do, I only end
up with kernel panics, and it is really hard to figure out what happened.

Thank you.