What is asmlinkage ?

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:06:21 EST 2013

It is defined in include/linux/linkage.h.   And more info here:

http://pix.cs.olemiss.edu/csci523/kernelidioms

Part of it quoted below - ultimately it falls on GCC feature ("
__attribute__((regparm(0)))"):

The CPP_ASMLINKAGE __attribute__((regparm(0))) Macro

asmlinkage macro defines as:
#define CPP_ASMLINKAGE __attribute__((regparm(0))) which defines as:
#define extern "C" __attribute__((regparm(0)))

This is used in the system call interface where C library routines enter
the kernel after setting up their arguments and executing the trap instruction
(INT 80) to enter the kernel. The "asmlinkage" tag really should read "C
language linkage."

GCC takes a i386 specific __attribute__((regparm(0))) that causes
the compiler to pass integer data type arguments in the stack instead of
using regesters.  Functions that take a variable number of arguments will
continue to be passed all of their arguments on the stack.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh