Kernel freeze when writing e1000 driver

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 26 12:01:21 EST 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:19:18 -0500, Phani Vadrevu said:
> I am writing a network driver for the e1000 card. While doing the
> receive part, I saw that the kernel freezes whenever it reaches the
> netif_rx(skb) call. I was able to reproduce the same error when using
> a bare bones driver where I hard codde the skb data.

There's a known-working driver in the kernel source tree for this
device already.  Start by looking at what data it's placed in the
skb when it calls that routine, and how it differs from what you filled in.

For bonus points - lose the 'unsigned char t[]' array and replace
it with a bunch of explicit 'skb->foo = bar' statements.  In particular,
that assures that you haven't missed a 0x15 27 bytes into the array,
or failed to allow alignment padding bytes.