Beyond kernel-janitor

Kumar amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:43:59 EST 2013

Hi All,

After watching Greg's video on "How to write and submit your first patch",the
discussions that happened over kernel newbie mailing list and the assorted
information scattered in the kernel Documentation directory, I was able to set
up my Linux box for sending janitorial related patches (mostly checkpatch.pl
cleanup) [1] and I'm happy that some of those got merged in the upstream kernel
I'd like to contribute even more and I was wondering how to proceed further.
My work experience has been mostly in the computer network domain, so I think
I've somewhat high level view of the Linux networking subsystem, but I do not
know the exact areas where I should concentrate. For a beginner like me, trying
to start at the core network elements is daunting. On the other hand, I do not
have a networking device for which I can try to come up with a minimal device
driver. Therefore In order to concentrate my work on Network subsystem of Linux,
what should be the possible entry points for me. I'm planning to get myself this
book [2] on Linux Network Internals. While this would take a while for me to
digest all the stuff, are there any other places where I can just Jumpstart ?

[1] http://marc.info/?a=135084530900004&r=1&w=2
[2] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002558.do

Looking forward for your suggestions.

-Amit