How to Port Linux Kernel

Alexandru Juncu alexj at rosedu.org
Mon Aug 19 08:52:25 EDT 2013

On 19 August 2013 15:35, Robert Clove <cloverobert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am an software Guy have some knowledge about device drivers.
> I want to understand porting Linux kernel on new PCI board.
> I have no idea from where to start and how.
> Please guide me through some good books and tutorials.
>
> Please guide.

Hello!

I don't think you want to 'port' Linux on the board. You port the
kernel on a new CPU processor/architecture.
I think what you want is to make a device driver for your device (that
connects via PCI).

What you should do is search for an existing device driver of a
similar board and take the code for that one and examine it. Then take
the technical specs of the new board and see the differences between
that and the old board and implement the differences in a new code
that will be the new device driver.