Career in Linux Internals and Embedded Systems

Satya Prakash Prasad unixkernel497 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 09:59:52 EDT 2013

I am working as a software professional engineer with 12+ years experience
in C/C++ on Linux platform.

I have a burning desire to work on Embedded system and Linux Device Driver
development - I have self practiced and learned some basics but now not
sure how to proceed next. I have a PC where I have Linux OS and practice
Linux Kernel development / device driver - for embedded system I
self-learned 8051 and PIC16F870. But now I am hearing Raspberry PI and
other new controllers would provide a good career opportunities.

If I want to pursue my career in Linux Internals / Embedded systems what
things should I learn or be expertise in? I have plans to buy Raspberry PI.
But I don't know what projects to practice or rather what programs to write
to enlighten up. I mean I am totally confused of what I should proceed
learning and development?

I need some direction on what should I practice and where I can get ideas
and help of what projects to do. I do not wish to join any training
institute cause they are professionals and costly. If a setup is required I
would do it at my house and pursue further on.

Can anyone please guide me accordingly - like - what I should learn for
better career opportunity / what projects I should self-practice and where
I can get help related to projects?