Question on initrd and initramfs

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:27:03 EDT 2012

Hi...

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please note that the image you give qemu (or bootloader)
> to use as initrd is *not* formatted using any mkfs.
> It's just created with:
>
> $ find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../initramfs.cpio

Yup I am aware of that :)

> And the compiled kernel has no support for *any* filesystem.
> So, the question is: how are those files formatted?

Now that's something I can't answer definitively. I just guess that,
somewhere inside kernel code, there is certain code that can't be
toggled on or off i.e it is always enabled. And that code, one of
them, is tackling this initramfs unpacking.

> (Guess the answer is: look at the code)

Eventually...well, yes :)

--
regards,