Question on initrd and initramfs

Ezequiel Garcia elezegarcia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 06:56:26 EDT 2012

Hi Mulyadi,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now to my first question:
>> The kernel is compiled WITHOUT any fs driver... So how the f@#ck did
>> he mounted initramfs? How are the files formatted?
>
> I think it's using any kind of RAM based fs, like ramfs or
> tmpfs....like the name says init-ram-fs

Please note that the image you give qemu (or bootloader)
to use as initrd is *not* formatted using any mkfs.
It's just created with:

$ find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../initramfs.cpio

And the compiled kernel has no support for *any* filesystem.
So, the question is: how are those files formatted?

(Guess the answer is: look at the code)

Thanks!
Ezequiel.