Questions about process state manipulation

Amit Gupta gupta.v.amit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:10:07 EDT 2012

Hi Srivatsa,

(Thats an interesting pointer. I didnt know about cgroups freeze. Thanks.)

However, I'm trying to figure out how the kernel would go about doing it.
i.e How the kernel, having a pointer to a task struct, goes about removing
something from the runqueue. or bringing something from a
TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE/STOPPED state back onto the runqueue.

I'm trying to figure this out from looking at the code, but am sort of
getting lost.

I guess I can rephrase the question as, I dont really need to do it for any
other purpose other than understanding how the kernel mechanisms will
accomplish it. i.e Doing it from userspace using "kill" or cgroups freeze
wont "uncover" this for me.

Hope my question is clearer,

Thanks for replies guys,
Amit