Questions about process state manipulation

Srivatsa Bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 05:09:27 EDT 2012

Hi Amit

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Amit Gupta <gupta.v.amit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kshemendra,
>
> I think I couldn't get my first question across clearly. My intent isn't
> to change do_fork()'s implementation. That wont work for precisely the
> reason you mentioned.(Infact everything after the init process would end up
> blocked).
>
> My question was more to explore if an existing running process can be
> explicitly taken off the runqueue once we have a pointer to its task_struct.

If you simply want to stop a running process and resume it at your will,
you don't need to write any kernel code at all. Simply use the cgroup
freezer functionality from userspace. You can find more details in
Documentation/cgroups/freezer-subsystem.txt in the kernel sources.

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat