looking for current, online kernel-related tutorials

Sarah Sharp sarah.a.sharp at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 16 17:10:13 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 06:38:15AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   a *very* wide-ranging post, but i'm currently trying to collect any
> well-written and *current* tutorials on *any* aspect of kernel
> programming, device drivers and related stuff like that there --
> especially those that come with working, hands-on examples.
>
>   the biggest drawback with a lot of the online tutorials and the
> in-kernel Documentation content is that much of it is simply
> out-of-date and finding really good tutorials is a bit of a challenge,
> so if anyone has suggestions for things like that (or has written such
> things), by all means, post pointers to them and i'll start making a
> list.  and what's in it for you?
>
>   i'm starting some wiki pages for as many topics as i can think of:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Kernel_topics
>
> for now, things will be fairly concise, i just want to collect the
> content.  these wiki pages will be permanently publicly available, so
> it's not like i'm asking anyone to do the work, at which point i'll
> take the results and keep them for myself.
>
>   in addition, the *eventual* goal is to incorporate the results in
> some updated linux kernel programming courseware, which will all be
> released under the creative commons license so, again, at no point
> will any of this content suddenly disappear.

Any plans to include this content in kernelnewbies.org?  It seems like
tutorials on kernel programming should be linked from there.

>   at the moment, i'm working with karim yaghmour of opersys.com, who
> recently open-sourced all his courseware --
> http://www.opersys.com/training -- and i'm working on updating the two
> linux courses for the 3.x kernel.  when those linux course manuals are
> updated, they will be posted and will still be under the creative
> commons license.
>
>   in the end, i may reorganize the wiki content if i come up with a
> more accessible structure, but it will never disappear.  so if you
> know of any excellent tutorials out there, let me know, and i'll add
> that to the wiki where everyone can take advantage.
>
>   and now, back to work ...

I wrote an tutorial for Linux magazine on how to get the Portland State
Aerospace Society's USB sensor nodes working.  I doesn't involve any
kernel drivers, but it does involve using the userspace libusb interface
to talk to the USB device.  Unfortunately, it is old, and I'm not even
sure the git repo links still work.

I poke around and see if I find anything more recent.

Sarah Sharp