Tools for checking incorrect usage of locking techniques in k-space

Kumar amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:30:11 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 09:51:19AM +0400, Vladimir Murzin wrote:
> I've not tried your module, but I suppose that you should get warning
> as soon as you try to take write semaphore once again.

Thank you for your mail. I wanted to try what you've suggested, but now I'm
facing a different problem. For kernel-janitorial purpose I sync my local repo
to the linux-next tree almost everyday and once in a while I build and boot
from the latest kernel from the linux-next tree. But most of the time, After
syncing to the latest linux-next tree, I perform only following steps to build
some staging drivers under linux-next tree:

>From the top of the latest linux-next tree:
# make oldconfig
# make prepare
# make modules_prepare
# make M=drivers/staging/<some driver>

The above steps work fine, except that I get some warning message.
<snip>
  WARNING: Symbol version dump /home/amit/lkernel/Module.symvers
  is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
<snip>

So my understanding is that I've booted from version-X and the linux-next kernel
version is version-Y and because of this version mismatch, I see the above
WARNING message. Now, because of this kernel version mismatch I am not able to
insert the module. An attempt to do so returns following error message:

root at ubuntu:/home/amit/ldd3/misc-modules/echo# insmod echo.ko
insmod: error inserting 'echo.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Some information regarding my setup:

amit at ubuntu:~/ldd3/misc-modules/echo$ uname -r
3.7.0-rc3-next-20121029

amit at ubuntu:~/ldd3/misc-modules/echo$ ll /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Oct 29 22:02
/lib/modules/3.7.0-rc3-next-20121029/build -> /home/amit/lkernel/

Here the /lib/modules/3.7.0-rc3-next-20121029/build is a softlink to the latest
kernel sources.

If I try to install the header files for my current kernel(returned by 'uname
-r'), I get following error message:
<snip>
amit at ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-3.7.0-rc3-next-20121029
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-3.7.0-rc3-next-20121029'
<snip>

How do I ovecome this ? Do I need to build the latest kernel(linux-next) and
boot from it, whenever I sync my local linux-next repository with the remote?
I'd like to be able to check my local changes by building and loading the
module/subsystem.

-Amit