Include directories

Cihangir Aktürk cakturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:40:47 EDT 2012

> Hi,

> Also, I want to understand that what /include/linux headers are for and what
> /include/asm-generic headers are for. How do they differentiate between each
> other? What is the logic behind having two separate header folders? How do
> they relate to each other?

AFAIK, headers found in /include/asm-generic directory is for architechture
independent (probably shared across architectures) code. Most likely you do
not need to include these headers directly, instead we include these headers
indirectly via architecthure dependent headers.

OTOH, /include/linux directory is for generic header files to define interfaces
between components of the kernel. In most situations, you will find all the
kernel functionalities you need in these headers.

regards, chngr.