Include directories

Sertaç Olgunsoylu sertacolgunsoylu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 02:45:55 EDT 2012

Hi,
While I was doing some reading on system calls, I did a search for
"syscalls.h" to find the header file in LXR. The search results puzzled me.
There is a dozen of "syscalls.h" files coming from directories under
"arch/_arch_name_/include/asm". These are ok, they are architecture
specific definitions or something else needed. The question is why do we
have two different "syscalls.h" headers under both /include/linux and
/include/asm-generic?

Also, I want to understand that what /include/linux headers are for and
what /include/asm-generic headers are for. How do they differentiate
between each other? What is the logic behind having two separate header
folders? How do they relate to each other?

Thanks