Some help about backporting a nic module to 2.6.32 longterm

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jan 11 17:13:08 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 07:42:04PM -0200, André Ferraz wrote:

> > A: No.
> > Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>
> 	Sorry about that
>
> > Why are you using grsec?  Why has it not been updated in the many
> > years since 2.6.32 was released?
>
> 	Grsec patchset brings some security features that i need in my
> 	servers, they are accessible for the clients via ssh and some
> 	of them gets hacked, they try to exploit the system and other
> 	things... and the project has patchet for the 3.1.8 kernel, but
> 	is a test branch, the stable branch is based on the 2.6.32
> 	longterm (http://grsecurity.net/download_stable.php)

Well, I suggest you ask the grsec developers for a new version of the
patch, surely they have updated it in the many years since 2.6.32 was
released.

You also might realize that most of those grsec "features" are already
in the 3.2 kernel release, so you might not need that patchset at all
anymore.

> > Just backporting a single driver, usually isn't that easy, as it
> > relies on other parts of the kernel.
>
> 	Indeed , but my problem now is to understand why still patching
> 	my kernel with the modifications of a CentOS 6 (just bnx2x
> 	driver) when i boot the kernel it still show me the old release
> 	version, the patch is applied but looks like that i'm missing
> 	some based on the firmware files that CentOS has on their
> 	kernel, thats why i asked you guys from the mailing list if
> 	there is some documentation that cold help me understand this

If you are using a CentOS kernel, you really need to go ask those
developers about it, as it is a _very_ patched 2.6.32 kernel, not an
upstream kernel.org version at all.

good luck,

greg k-h