Driver for UPS

Peter Senna Tschudin peter.senna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 13:21:22 EDT 2012

Dear list,

I want to write a driver for my UPS. My goal is to plug the USB cable,
and have the system to recognize the device as battery + AC power
supply. The effect I'm looking for is GNOME showing an icon with
battery load, power source state and time remaining to full and empty
battery. Some UPS from APC behave exactly like this. But it is not
clear how it is done.

I made a C program that talks to the UPS but I need some guidance from
here. How should this be implemented? Should I do a Kernel module or
deal with it on userland?

I found nut (http://www.networkupstools.org/) and apcupsd
(http://www.apcupsd.org/) that are not what I'm looking for.

Any references about APC UPS + Kernel are welcome.

Thanks!

Peter
--
Peter Senna Tschudin