analysis of kernel panic logs.

sandeep kumar coolsandyforyou at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 04:37:43 EDT 2011

Hi Dave,

I want to share what is the problem and how it got fixed.

The problem goes like this,
The init process(init.c) of ANDROID parses "init.rc" file which specifies
the actions to be done on a specific trigger.
In our case mistakenly we specified the trigger,but no action.

Due to which the parser parsed the action to be NULL, and executed it when
the trigger occured.
Which caused the NULL dereferencing.

We fixed that by doing a NULL check before calling the action.

As our analysis for the problem goes,
init being the critical process, when killed, platform called a system call
to restart the kernel.
is it correct or we missd something?

I have the following questions also,

1) When we enabled that config option CONFIG_DEBUG_USER, the register dump
we got, is of user space application, right?

2) init: unhandled page fault (11) at 0x00000000, code 0x80000007, this is
given by the CONFIG_DEBUG_USER, any reference how to analyse the 'code'
value?

Thank you,
Sandeep

--