Guidance on writing device drivers

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 17:28:30 EST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Matthias Brugger
<matthias.bgg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 05:26 AM, Prajosh Premdas wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM, rohan puri <rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:rohan.puri15 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>    On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM, suraj khurana
>>    <surajkhurana27 at gmail.com <mailto:surajkhurana27 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>        Hi all,
>>        I am a newbie in linux world and want to learn linux device
>> drivers.
>>
>>        I am currently reading book - "Linux Device Drivers" by O'reilly.
>>
>>        Does anyone has any problem statements based on device drivers
>>        for practice
>>        so that I can enhance my skills in writing device drivers.
>
> The Linux Device Driver book (ldd3) is outdated, as Linux kernel ABI changes
> constantly, although I would still recommend the book as good starting
> point.
> Martinez Javier started to port the source code examples to the actual
> Kernel versions. I'm not sure about the actual status of the work, but I
> vaguely remember that I tried to use the block device driver some month ago.
> It compiled without any warning but crashed when used.
>
> Maybe you want to dig in the example code and see if you can find and
> resolve some issues.
>
> https://github.com/martinezjavier/ldd3
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

Hello Suraj,

As the author of that repo I confirme you that I'm not updating the
examples anymore. Looking at the commit history you can see that the
last one was about a year ago. An even there I only make sure that the
drivers compile cleanly but I didn't try it as Matthias says.

A long time ago I update the drivers for academic purposes but since
then I have ever used anymore.

Hope that someone can continue this forking my git tree since I think
the LDD3 books is one of the best for newbies to understand how Linux
drivers are developed.

BTW: I do have time to push patches is someone send to me to fix the issues.

Best regards,

--
Javier Martínez Canillas
(+34) 682 39 81 69