Guidance on writing device drivers

Matthias Brugger matthias.bgg at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:50:15 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 05:26 AM, Prajosh Premdas wrote:
> [...]
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM, rohan puri <rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
> <mailto:rohan.puri15 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM, suraj khurana
>     <surajkhurana27 at gmail.com <mailto:surajkhurana27 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>         I am a newbie in linux world and want to learn linux device drivers.
>
>         I am currently reading book - "Linux Device Drivers" by O'reilly.
>
>         Does anyone has any problem statements based on device drivers
>         for practice
>         so that I can enhance my skills in writing device drivers.

The Linux Device Driver book (ldd3) is outdated, as Linux kernel ABI
changes constantly, although I would still recommend the book as good
starting point.
Martinez Javier started to port the source code examples to the actual
Kernel versions. I'm not sure about the actual status of the work, but I
vaguely remember that I tried to use the block device driver some month
ago. It compiled without any warning but crashed when used.

Maybe you want to dig in the example code and see if you can find and
resolve some issues.

https://github.com/martinezjavier/ldd3

Regards,
Matthias

>         Thanks,
>         Suraj

>     Hello Suraj,
>     I would suggest complete reading the book with the examples given in
>     the book.
>
>     Regards,
>     Rohan Puri

> --