Problem installing vanilla kernel on Fedora 13

srivatsa bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 00:01:15 EDT 2011

Hi Vaibhav,

>Hi,

>I am trying to install an extra vanilla kernel on Fedora 13. The Fedora 13
runs on vmware virtual machine.
>I installed it using and iso of live cd. A 'uname -r' gives the version as
2.6.33-85.fc13.i686.

>The kernel version I am trying to install is 2.6.38.8

>I am following these steps :

>- Download kernel source and unzip it
>- make menuconfig (Saved the config)
>- make
>- make modules_install
>- make install

>However as soon as i do a 'make install ' an error message appears saying :

>"ERROR:modinfo:could not find module i2c_core"

>I could find the options for i2c in the config menu and enabled some of
them but didn't help.
>Could anyone please tell me how to debug this error ? I  have tried the
same thing on Fedora 14 earlier and there was
>no such problem.

>Thanks
>Vaibhav Jain

Try running make localmodconfig after running make menuconfig. The former
command finds out all the currently loaded kernel modules, device drivers
etc and ensures that all the config options necessary for them are set in
the .config file.

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat