Need help understanding memory models, cpu modes and address translation

Vaibhav Jain vjoss197 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 23:14:49 EDT 2011

Hi,
Thanks a lot for all the links!
I read the two articles below by Gustavo but I am still very confused about
segmentation. One of the articles below says that
the segments in virtual address space are different from 'intel-style
segments' whereas I used to think of them as being the same.
Could somebody please state the difference clearly for me and explain how
these two work together. I would
really appreciate if someone could explain the whole chain from generation
of addresses by compiler and then translation of
those addresses in case of  Segmentation working along with Paging. I am
unable to comprehend how a compiler
generates address for a segmented memory model. Explaining the whole chain,
I think , can serve the purpose.

Thanks!
Vaibhav Jain