how to apply patches from git ?

Christopher Harvey chris at basementcode.com
Wed Jul 13 09:34:46 EDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 02:16:09 -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 00:22, RKK <kulkarni.ravi4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry if this is a basic question.
>> How do i take patches from e-mail?
>>  for example git send mail sends patches as e-mail
>>
>> if someone wants to apply that patch to his branch then how do i get
>> that in . patch format and then use
>> patch -p1 *.patch  or is there something im missing here? thanks.
>> --
>> Warm Regards,
>> Ravi .
>>

> Save the email message in mbox format and then you can use git am
> /path/to/mbox/file to apply the email patch to your tree.

well, actually you don't need to do the whole mbox thing with git. You
only need to get the patches into .patch files in a directory. I believe
you can then use git am /path/to/patches and it will apply the patches
in the order the ls command displays them.

I'm assuming that would be helpful since most people who don't know how
to apply patches from mail also don't have an mbox.