Questions regarding console drivers..

sandeep kumar coolsandyforyou at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:17:13 EDT 2011

Hi all,
I have gone through the kernel/kernel/printk.c file. And i have the
following questions..
I have some rough idea of several things, but i need to conform them

1) What is a console driver? --> My idea is it allows the kernel to input or
output the characters
                                              to or from a particular
device.
2) Why so many command-line consoles are needed? --> (if first qn is
right...why cant u use single
                                               console to several devices)
3) What is a boot console & real console?

4) How to know how many number of consoles are running at a time?

5) In the boot command line we will pass one console name "console=ttyXXX",
other than that where the remaining consoles are being registered?

Please answer these questions so that i can have furthur understanding

Thank you all..
--
With regards,
Sandeep Kumar Anantapalli,