Problem in building,installing new vanilla kernel - initramfs

Vaibhav Jain vjoss197 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 17:15:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

Yesterday I tried to compile and install the same kernel version after
deleting all the old files and downloading the
source again.To my surprise it worked on Debian without any problems.
However, following the same steps on Ubuntu is still giving problems.
The kernel and modules are being compiled successfully and initramfs file is
also getting created without any problems.Grub is also detecting the
kernel image and the initramfs image.
But as soon as I reboot the Ubuntu virtual machine it gives the following
error (without displaying options for selecting the kernel )

mount: mounting none on /dev failed: No such device
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems :
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
 - Check rootdelay =(did the system wait long enough ?)
 - Check root = (did the system wait for the right device ?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/6d5778f2-9e9e-402b-b2a0-43aca187ac1f does not
exist.Dropping to a shell!

Busybox  v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) _

I am facing the same problem again and again on Ubuntu.And the worst thing
is it doesn't allow me to boot the older kernel and throws the error on
startup.

Here are the steps which I am performing :

- download kernel source from kernel.org (v 2.6.39.2)
- unzip the bz2 file
- Configure the source -  *make defconfig*
-compile the source - *make*
- compile the modules - *make modules*
- install the modules - *make modules_install*
- install the kernel - *make install*
- *cd /boot*
- *update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.39.2*
- *update-grub
*

Please help me to figure out what am I doing wrong here. The exact same
steps are working on Debian virtual machine.

Thanks
Vaibhav Jain