Problem in building,installing new vanilla kernel - initramfs

Vaibhav Jain vjoss197 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 01:14:05 EDT 2011

Hi,

For the past 2 weeks I have been trying to compile and install a new vanilla

kernel (v2.6.39.2) on my debian and ubuntu vmware machines. But it is
failing due
to some problem related to initramfs. After compiling and installing the
kernel and modules
I am trying to create the initramfs image by using the command
"update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.39.2".

The command executes successfully and creates an initramfs image. However
on booting the new kernel an error occurs and it takes me to the initramfs
prompt.
I tried it first on debian virtual machine and then on ubuntu virtual
machine but failed
on both.

For building and installing the kernel I am NOT using any
distribution-specific tools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vaibhav Jain