How to profile the kernel during its initialization?

Da Zheng zhengda1936 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 19:39:51 EDT 2011

On 07/05/11 21:17, Vladimir Murzin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Zheng Da<zhengda1936 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Can we profile the kernel during its initialization? perf is
>> initialized in an early stage in start_kernel(), but it seems there
>> are no command-line parameters to enable it.
>> Does anyone have any ideas how to profile the kernel during its
>> initialization (before user space programs start to run)? I think
>> someone should have the similar problem as me, and there should be
>> some solutions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Da

> Hi Da,
>
> Have a look at ftrace. It could be used to profile initcalls.
> Just add following boot options:
>
> initcall_debug, ftrace=initcall
>
> More details on
> http://www.omappedia.org/wiki/Installing_and_Using_Ftrace#Boot_Tracer
Thanks Vladimir. initcall_debug can show me which initcalls use most of
time.
but the initcall tracer has already been abandoned. I use v2.6.38. If I
enable the function tracer, then it generates too much data, and the old
data is overwritten. Is function tracer or function graph tracer
available for tracing initcalls?

Da