interview question how does application connects to device

Paraneetharan Chandrasekaran paraneetharanc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 02:59:44 EDT 2011

I think the thread originator is asking about how the application knows
which device file to read or write.
This is done by h/w management system udev. udev creates/manages device
nodes in /dev/ dir and notifes applications based on the udev rules written
(via HAL events or DBUS signals).

Thanks,
Paraneetharan C

On 5 July 2011 12:21, Philipp Ittershagen <lists at gate-nine.de> wrote:

> On 07/05/2011 06:15 AM, Bond wrote:
> > But he was expecting some thing more complex.
>
> Well, to be honest, I also was expecting something more complex when I
> first looked at kernel programming and creating character devices ;) But
> the file_operations interface is really straight-forward and simple,
> very nice.
>

> Philipp

Regards,
Paraneetharan C