vfs functions

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 09:48:35 EST 2011

Mohit,

>From your mails it looks to me you are coming very early to post
questions on this list. I would suggest to be little patient and go
through some text books (preferably Understanding Linux Kernel 3rd
Ed.) and try to cover all I/O subsystem related chapters. I am sure
most of your answers you will find reading text only.

> well by something i mean , that some process needs to access the offset of
> file for next read or dup that file discriptor  so why  each time to go for
> inode . (check me if i am wrong)

are you saying that process refers to inode for getting next read
location? If this is the case, then you are wrong. next read/write
location is kept in file object not in inode. file object is like a
session between process opening the file and inode of the file. A
process (or multiple process) can open a file multiple times creating
multiple file objects against a single inode, with each file object
reading/writing different portions of same file.

Rajat