Memory barrier

Vladimir Murzin murzin.v at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 05:44:48 EST 2011

Hi,

In my opinion it is not correct to say "make order on current CPU" in
case of SMP. Actually, we cope with shared resource here - memory, and
observes for that resource - CPUs.

As soon as CPU is asked to make a barrier (with some sort of
instruction) access to shared resource is ordered among all of
observers. So, in case of SMP we have to protect shared resource with
"hardware" memory barriers. In case of UP, memory is not shared, so,
generally, we have to take care that memory access won't be optimized
by compiler.

P.S.
Sorry for digging this thread.

Best wishes