interrupt handler in arm question

Konstantin Zertsekel zertsekel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 07:52:37 EST 2011

> I have one more question.I have searched in the source code,but
> couldn't figure it out.
> As you mentioned earlier,running ISR in SVC is mainly to make it re
> entrant,but where
> its getting enabled again(interrupt) after ARM has been disabled it
> when an interrupt happens.
> Could you please give an idea on this.

Please take a look at handle_IRQ_event in kernel/irq/handle.c:

irqreturn_t handle_IRQ_event(unsigned int irq, struct irqaction *action)
{
        irqreturn_t ret, retval = IRQ_NONE;
        unsigned int status = 0;

        if (!(action->flags & IRQF_DISABLED))
                local_irq_enable_in_hardirq();  <--- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

}

It is called from kernel/irq/chip.c file for every type of IRQ
interrupt (simple IRQ, level IRQ, enge IRQ and percpu IRQ).

Now, local_irq_enable_in_hardirq is defined in inlude/linux/interrupt.h:

#ifdef CONFIG_LOCKDEP
# define local_irq_enable_in_hardirq()  do { } while (0)
#else
# define local_irq_enable_in_hardirq()  local_irq_enable()
#endif

Now, local_irq_enable is defined in include/linux/irqflags.h:

#define local_irq_enable() \
        do { trace_hardirqs_on(); raw_local_irq_enable(); } while (0)
And, at last, raw_local_irq_enable is defined in
arch/arm/include/asm/irqflags.h:

#define raw_local_irq_enable()                                  \
        ({                                                      \
                unsigned long temp;                             \
        __asm__ __volatile__(                                   \
        "mrs    %0, cpsr                @ local_irq_enable\n"   \
"       bic     %0, %0, #128\n"                                 \
"       msr     cpsr_c, %0"                                     \
        : "=r" (temp)                                           \
        : "memory", "cc");                                      \
        })

This last macro essentially clears the I (big i) bit in CPSR register
- this enables IRQ exceptions.

Hope, it helps.
--- Kosta