thinking of updating the canonical online udev document

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:59:28 EDT 2011

> udev is used in the "embedded" world all the time, there's no reason you
> can't just take the shipping tarball and use it in your product just
> fine.

We actually ended up doing just that (i.e use the latest udev from
source), while building another component for our platform -
NetworkManager. :)

> But discussion about any problems you have with that, would not be
> answered by the document described originally, you can just ask them on
> the linux-hotplug at vger.kernel.org list.

Ok, thanks.

> Use the provided tools and don't roll your own.  It will save you time
> and frustration.  Look at all of the mess that people have gone through
> to try to re-do udev on their own already and the problems they had with
> it (google in android, busybox version of udev, etc.)

Totally agree. We'd love to use all the existing open-source
components out there...and we're making a conscious effort towards
that, i.e reuse of existing desktop/embedded components and not write
our won stuff.

Thanks,
-mandeep