thinking of updating the canonical online udev document

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Apr 26 09:31:40 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 06:35:58PM +0530, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
> > That doc could almost be removed entirely now, as no one should need to
> > mess with udev rules "by hand" anymore thanks to devtmpfs and the
> > default udev rules that are in all distros (with one notable exception.)
> >
> > What is your goal in redoing this?  Why would a user/developer ever need
> > to mess with udev on their own anymore?
>
> Well, I would! :)
>
> We're working on an embedded platform and can't use a complete distro.
> But we still want some good-bits from the desktop world, to be
> available for our system. And udev is one such thing we're trying to
> use (for USB plug and play kind of a feature).

udev is used in the "embedded" world all the time, there's no reason you
can't just take the shipping tarball and use it in your product just
fine.

But discussion about any problems you have with that, would not be
answered by the document described originally, you can just ask them on
the linux-hotplug at vger.kernel.org list.

> Apart from having a custom vendor-supplied kernel, pretty much
> everything else in the user-space has to be "hand-coded" by us.
>
> Or is there another 'convenient' alternative?

Use the provided tools and don't roll your own.  It will save you time
and frustration.  Look at all of the mess that people have gone through
to try to re-do udev on their own already and the problems they had with
it (google in android, busybox version of udev, etc.)

good luck,

greg k-h