Packaging "chirp" for Fedora

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun May 28 17:45:52 EDT 2023

On Sun, May 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM Edward Vielmetti <edward.vielmetti at gmail.com>
wrote:

> chirp is a programming tool for HTs that supports a bunch of radios.
> For a lot of 2 meter radios it's way, way, way easier to deal with than
> punching buttons on the front panel.
>
> It looks like chirp got pulled from Fedora 31 because at the time
> it was dependent on Python 2, which was EOL.
>
> Fast forward a couple of releases, and now chirp is based on Python 3.
> Would it be of interest to try packaging it again? Richard KF5OIM
> (hobbes1069)
> looks like he was in the midst of the 2019 discussion. The new Chirp
> instructions at
>
> https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/ChirpOnLinux
>
> specifically say "tested on Fedora 37" and give Python 3 dependencies.
>
> There's a review request stalled here from 2020 when someone else was
going to try and revive it. I noticed the new version but also they were
making a lot of commits. I was going to wait until things slowed down
before thinking of packaging it.

I've only got about 5% of the time I used to for packaging activities so
I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

Thanks,
Richard
KF5OIM