How can I make dma_alloc to use the device's reserved memory?

김찬 ckim at etri.re.kr
Wed Nov 1 20:51:15 EDT 2023

Hi kernel experts,

If some memory was reserved for a dma-able device using device tree's 'reserved-memory' property, if I do dma_alloc_coherent for the device, does it allocate memory in that reserved memory? I don't think so because dma_alloc_coherent works regardless of wether there is reserved memory for the device or not. Then how can I make the kernel reserve the dma memory from that reserved memory?

Thank you.
Chan Kim