Setting CPUFreq scaling governor to performance not setting CPU frequency to the highest

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 02:16:23 EST 2023

On Tue, Dec 5, 2023, 11:19 Vigneshwar S <svigneshj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I've read about the CPU performance scaling in Linux kernel documentation
> <https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/pm/cpufreq.html> and tried
> experimenting with multiple scaling governors. Based on the documentation,
> the performance scaling governor
> <https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/pm/cpufreq.html#performance> should
> set the frequency to the maximum possible frequency.

Correct

> I've got two machines with different kernel versions: v3.10.0 (CentOS 7)
> and v5.10.106 (Debian 11). When I set the 'scaling_governor' to
> 'performance' in the CentOS machine, it is working as expected and the CPU
> frequency is set to the maximum possible frequency statically. But when I
> set the 'scaling_governor' to 'performance' in the Debian machine, that's
> not the case and the CPU frequency is changing dynamically.

I think that is because two probable things:
1. Kernel does not correctly probe max freq of processor
Or
2. Kernel detect idle situation, thus decide to lower the cpu freq for
quite some time

When needs arise, performance will put back cpu to max known freq

Performance differ with other lies not on putting max freq, but how fast
it.steps into max freq

That is afaik