"Invalid signature" issue on dev kernel launch

Gidi Gal gidi.gal.linux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 09:12:11 EDT 2021

> From your build.log I see you compiled that kernel 6 times:

Yep,  tried all sorts of things that did not work with the signature issue.
I assume there's much shorter process for re-signing built kernel without
going through
a complete build again ?  If you have time, I will be grateful for some
pointers on the subject.

> I am curious are you using linux mint or Debian ?

I am using Linux Mint. As a beginner, I took web advice to install Linux
Mint.

> knowledge on this subject), I am now facing "invalid signature" error when
> > I reboot with my installed dev kernel.
>
> When/where exactly are you getting that error? There's three major
> places where things can go wrong:
>
> 1) If you're using secure boot, and the grub2 stuff isn't signed by
> a certificate your BIOS/EFI knows about.
>
> 2) If you're using secure boot, and the kernel itself isn't signed by
> a certificate that grub2 knows about.
>
> 3) If your kernel config says modules have to be signed, and a module
> isn't properly signed with a certificate that your kernel knows about.

The message is displayed at boot time. Since I am forced to replace kernel,
I cannot see this error message in 'dmesg | less', probably because it
refers to the last boot ? So I don't know how to gather more info about the
exact entity that launched this error.

Is there any tool that can test signed kernel to confirm the signature is
valid, and if not, to provide clearer information on what is wrong with the
signature ?

For now I will work with disabled secure boot, as Aruna proposed. I'll be
happy to find a way to fix this issue, though.

Thanks,
Gidi