Device file not appearing

Gregory Anders greg at gpanders.com
Wed Mar 17 12:13:22 EDT 2021

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:59:08 +0100, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>Is your char device listed in /sys/dev/char/ ?
>
>If not, then you have something wrong with your call to device_create().
>
>If so, then you need to look at whatever tool is creating your device
>nodes in /dev.  Usually the kernel handles this with devtmpfs, but I do
>not know what your system uses for this.

Indeed it is. I am working with a fairly minimal system on a Xilinx
Microblaze soft-core CPU. I have udev installed, but I'm not sure about
devtmpfs. I'll start digging in that direction and see what I find.

>Also, why a full major?  Why not just use the misc_dev api instead that
>does all of the above "housekeeping" for you automagically?

Simply because I wasn't aware of the misc_dev API :) But that does look
like a nice abstraction that will save me some boilerplate, so thanks
for pointing that out.

Thanks,

Greg