Kernel Compile Issue

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 19:36:08 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM Valdis Klētnieks
<valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:19:04 -0400, Aruna Hewapathirane said:
>
> > Could well be ... but 'locate' shows me this:
> >
> > aruna at debian:~$ locate Makefile.normal
> > /usr/src/open-vm-tools-9.4.6/vmci/Makefile.normal
> > /var/lib/dkms/open-vm-tools/9.4.6/build/vmci/Makefile.normal
>
> Note that 'locate' doesn't actually walk through the file system, it greps
> through a file created by 'updatedb' which usually gets run from a crontab
> entry.  As a result, 'locate' can report the existence of files that have actually
> been removed after the last updatedb run.

Oh dear... no wonder locate was lightning fast and I was thinking even
for linux this
is crazy fast speed. Now I know...  Thank you Valdis and any thoughts
on how I can
get my mouse to work at the graphical login screen again ?

make j$(nproc) is ok
make modules_install is ok
make install is ok

but after selecting the new kernel at the GRUB2 menu it hangs at the graphical
login and I am stumped.

Soo... that is why 'locate' is so damn fast :-)