My effort to learn Linux kernel development

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 23 06:41:52 EDT 2021

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021, Amit Kumar wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Jules Irenge wrote:
> >
> > > I normally learn the kernel on weekends. Reading R. Love and
> > > practicing by coding what you learn is the best way. Also, trying to
> > > submit simple patches on some free time is a good way , meeting Greg
> > > Kroah and Shuan, they are fantastic people to learn from.
> Is there any online method to interact with Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman?
> >
> >   as the tech editor of the r. love kernel book, i can safely say that
> > there are no really current kernel books out there anymore -- the best
> > docs are the in-kernel ones.
> I started reading documents from the Documentation folder.
> >
> >   also, if you want to get started mucking with the kernel and
> > submitting patches, consider improving the documentation -- there is a
> > lot of documentation that is at least a little out of date and could
> > use all the help it can get, and that's an easy and safe way to get
> > started getting your name into the kernel git log.
> >
> I know well that there is not any book that provides current knowledge
> about the Linux kernel.
> So, I have decided to make my blog (https://freeark1blog.blogspot.com)
> a gateway to the Linux kernel development.
>
> Why were the last kernel book by Mr. Greg Kroah Hartman and et. al. canceled?

  there's not much financial incentive to write kernel books anymore;
the code base changes so relentlessly that any book is pretty much out
of date by the time it hits the shelves, and few authors want to
invest months of their life for that. and what's the point of having a
small number of authors working on a book, when the entire linux
community is co-operating to improve the inline docs, anyway?

rday

p.s. it also occurs that the kernel is so vast that there's no way
you could do justice to it in a single book. there might (i emphasize
*might*) be some value in writing a comprehensive book on some single
kernel subsystem, but even that would be obviated by decent inline
docs.