'-D' 'KBUILD_MODSYM=main - like KBUILD_MODNAME, without the quotes ?

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jan 28 18:57:04 EST 2021

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 12:11:54 -0700, jim.cromie at gmail.com said:

> In my hacking, Im finding this useful.
> it adds a version of KBUILD_MODNAME without the quotes

OK, I'll bite.  When and how is this useful?

> KBUILD_MODNAME has the quotes for a reason;

Hint:  do a "git grep KBUILD_MODNAME", look at how it's used, and
think about how invasive a patch to change it would be...
(And pay heed to the comment in arch/sparc/include/asm/vio.h -
it means that there's second-order effects to deal with as well...)

> Afterall, __stringify() could add the quotes for cases where it was needed.Afterall, __stringify() could add the quotes for cases where it was needed.

How would it know?