KASLR support on ARM with Kernel 4.9 and 4.14

Ard Biesheuvel ardb at kernel.org
Fri Sep 25 17:09:10 EDT 2020

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 at 22:47, Kees Cook <keescook at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:37:01PM +0200, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

> > > Sorry, this feature did not yet land in upstream:
> > > https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/3
> > >
> > > Here was the earlier effort:
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/kernel-hardening/20170814125411.22604-1-ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org/

> > > CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE is what is used on other architectures to control
> > > the feature.

> > > No, the latter is about userspace addresses.

> > > I think you meant kernel symbol addresses (not the symbols themselves).
> > > But yes, I wouldn't expect the addresses to move if you didn't either
> > > rebuild the kernel or had something else moving the kernel at boot (i.e.
> > > the boot loader).

> > Those addresses were obfuscated by kptr_restrict
>
> Is that true? kptr_restrict zeros (rather than hashing) the kallsyms
> view. And besides, the %p hashing was added in v4.15 (but also doesn't
> touch kallsyms, which does all-or-nothing to avoid breaking stuff
> like perf).

Ah yes, good point. But it does look suspiciously like they are being
mangled in a similar way.

For a 3/1 split ARM kernel of the typical size, all kernel virtual
addresses start with 0xc0, and given that the kernel is located at the
start of the linear map, those addresses cannot change even if you
move the kernel around in physical memory.