KASLR support on ARM with Kernel 4.9 and 4.14

Pintu Agarwal pintu.ping at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 09:45:23 EDT 2020

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 22:10, Kees Cook <keescook at chromium.org> wrote:

> > It uses the below kernel for 4.14:
> > https://gitlab.com/quicla/kernel/msm-4.14/-/tree/LE.UM.3.4.2.r1.5  (or
> > similar branch).
>
> Okay, so yes. And this appears to have the hashing of %p backported. I
> cannot, however, explain why it's showing hashed pointers instead of
> just NULL, though.
>
> It might be related to these commits but they're not in that kernel:
> 3e5903eb9cff ("vsprintf: Prevent crash when dereferencing invalid pointers")
> 7bd57fbc4a4d ("vsprintf: don't obfuscate NULL and error pointers")
>
> > ==> The case where symbol addresses are changing.
> >
> > kptr_restrict is set to 2 by default:
> > / # cat /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
> > 2
> >
> > Basically, the goal is:
> > * To understand how addresses are changing in 4.14 Kernel (without
> > KASLR support)?
> > * Is it possible to support the same in 4.9 Kernel ?
>
> Try setting kptr_restrict to 0 and see if the symbol addresses change? I
> suspect Ard is correct: there's no KASLR here, just hashed pointers
> behaving weird on an old non-stock kernel. :)

Okay. Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions.
You mean to say, setting kptr_restrict to 0 may avoid changing symbol
addresses in 4.14 ?
And, sorry, I could not understand the thing about this "hashed pointers".
How can I check this behavior in source code to understand better?
Is it possible to give some reference ?
I wanted to disable this hash pointer on 4.14 kernel and check the behavior.
Also if possible, we would like to make this similar change on 4.9
kernel as well.

Thanks,
Pintu