Disable EISA and probes

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Sep 5 16:25:45 EDT 2020

On Sat, 05 Sep 2020 11:11:27 -0400, Jeffrey Walton said:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 10:52 AM Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> > > Modern distros and their minimum requirements preclude EISA. One
> > > cannot meet a distros minimum requirements and have EISA.
> >
> > Then file a bug with your distro to have it removed from their kernel
> > images.
>
> Thanks.
>
> So does that mean it is not possible to disable EISA and its probes?

16:18:21 0 [~] uname -a
Linux turing-police 5.9.0-rc2-next-20200827-dirty #779 SMP Sun Aug 30 04:22:57 EDT 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
16:19:38 0 [~] grep EISA /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_HAVE_EISA=y
# CONFIG_EISA is not set
16:19:55 0 [~]

It's possible, because I'm positive this laptop isn't about to suddenly sprout
an EISA bus that needs supporting. (That, and it's fun to watch a kernel build
blow up because I have an oddball .config for the build :)

Convincing a distro to remove it is a different question.  And I'm sure they
won't be interested in doing so unless you can prove "can't meet minimum
requirements and have EISA". Can you name-and-shame some distros, and
point at a minimum requirement that can't be met by a box that has EISA?