Oops stack trace missing function addresses

Adrian Larumbe fromago at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:34:08 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I wrote a small kernel module where I trigger a page fault by writing
to an invalid memory address. This causes an Oops that prints the
associated Stack Trace, but contrary to what the kernel documentation
claims, I get no VA next to each function in the Call Trace:

Call Trace:
  do_one_initcall+0xfc/0x290
  ? cache_alloc_debugcheck_after+0x38/0x270
  ? rcu_read_lock_sched_held+0x77/0xa0
  ? kmem_cache_alloc_trace+0x2b6/0x330
  do_init_module+0x4b/0x1b6
  load_module+0x2140/0x24c0
  ? find_held_lock+0x2d/0xa0
  sys_init_module+0xdd/0x100
  do_int80_syscall_32+0x73/0x170
  entry_INT80_32+0xcf/0xcf

This looks very much unlike what I see in https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.11/admin-guide/bug-hunting.html

I was wondering maybe the reason is that I didn't compile the kernel with the right debug options, but
a quick glance at the .config file reveals they all seem to be there:

CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
CONFIG_STACKTRACE=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y

Cheers,