What's the relationship between linux-next and mainline

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 05:42:35 EDT 2020

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 11:30 AM wuzhouhui <wuzhouhui14 at mails.ucas.ac.cn> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frequently, I found Stephen Rothwell send email about he have created
> today's linux-next tree.
> On the other hand, the maintainer sometimes write their pull request
> like "these changes have
> been sitting in linux-next for a while".
>
> So, what's the relationship between linux-next and mainline? Is
> linux-next a temporary integrating
> tree for maintainers to merge and test?

Here is some documentation:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/2.Process.html#next-trees

You will find a bit more documentation on some man pages and some
lwn.net articles.

Maybe you check if what is written in the kernel documentation is
still up to date and add more information that you found in different
sources to the kernel documentation.

Lukas